Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Little Something for Davo

I was reading an article in The New Yorker about studies of language cognition in African gray parrots (see "Birdbrain" by Margaret Talbot in the May 12 issue) when I came across a little something my dear friend Davo would appreciate.

The author was discussing the results of ape-language studies and how the apes could not form complicated combinations of words when communicating. To illustrate her point: "And, when [the apes] produced a longer utterance, it tended to be a string of repetitions of the sort rarely encountered outside a Gertrude Stein poem. (A quote from Nim Chimpsky: 'Give orange give me eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you.')"

I'm not sure whose brain is harder to understand -- the chimp's or Stein's.

2 comments:

Davo said...

As Stein writes: Lucy Church may be left to be thanks to be. Lucy Church thanks to be. Lucy Church thanks to be. Lucy Church if if it were after it after it if it if and after after if it thanks to be.

There's no oranges in that bit, but I suppose we could add one, which would allow us to be more "thanks to be."

WhooperLuvr said...

Thought you'd get a kick out of that.