Thursday, June 12, 2008

I'm Not Here

Walking into work earlier this week, I overheard one of the trainers from the fitness club in my building talking to another trainer on her cell phone. We were both walking through the parking garage to the basement and she was talking LOUDLY complaining about work. Typical vapid jock talk mostly until she said, "I'm not here yet. Are you here?" to the person on the other end of the phone. I don't know if she saw me smirking or not but I'm sure she didn't have a clue as to why if she did. Perhaps if she seemed a bit more intellectual, we could have had a rather existential conversation commiserating on our mutual unhappiness at work -- "I'm here but I'm not here..." Or maybe I should have turned around and said, "If you're not here, then where are you?" but I resisted.

The moral, Dear Reader, is that when you're feeling down -- don't despair. At least you know the difference between "here" and "there."

3 comments:

Davo said...

I have to admit I have fallen victim to this, talking to people while in colorado and talking about here as if I were in Indiana. "up there" in reference to Lafayette when I'm not in Indy but in Milwaukee, etc. It's still me-centric, but me-centric in terms of where I feel I am rather than where I am in actuality. A strange an interesting phenomenon.

Davo said...

Ok darlin, it's been a month. You got somethin to type yet?

Davo said...

...your blogpost title couldn't have been more apt, considering the number of posts since June freakin 12th. No updates? Your ones of readers are starvin!